Monday, March 16, 2009

First Steps

As everyone probably knows I spent four days in the Brantford General Hospital. The only thing I didn't post, besides the random pictures and updates of when I would be coming home, was what I was there for. Since everyone is asking, which is so understandable, I thought I would sum it all up on a little note. I was thinking I've got so much on my mind from all this, why not write a note about it once and awhile and then at least I could have some feedback and maybe find out someone out there is in the same situation I am, and I didn't even know it!

On Thursday March 12th I went to the doctor for blood work. The reason for this was because my mom had some weird feeling that my sugar was high. The reason for this was because I was constantly drinking water or milk. By constant I mean, chugging at least 5 water bottles between 8 am - 12 pm, drinking at least one bag of milk myself a day. I also, which everyone noticed, lost a bunch of weight. Basically I was burning off my fat and muscle rather than my sugar, which is not good! Things like that made her suspect this.

Friday March 13th, I got a call from my doctor's office that my sugar was 24, which is very high. So I was sent to emerg. and I stayed from Friday afternoon till Monday Afternoon. I was diagnosed with Type One Diabetes [Juvenile Diabetes]

At first I didn't realize how serious this was. I think that the whole thing went over my head and especially because I was not feeling sick like most people with sugar that high do. Basically they told me that my pancreas isn't working anymore so I will be having to give myself insulin rather than my body giving it to myself.

In the hospital it felt so weird, because here I was sitting in a hospital bed, not feeling any different than I normally did. Except I was being injected in the stomach every four hours, [ even four in the morning!] and I had to prick my finger to check my blood sugar. All the terms and explanations confused me, but with the books they gave me I managed to get a good idea what was happening.

They doctor's said that my attitude was positive and that was the best thing. I got to give myself the insulin in my stomach and prick my finger myself. It was weird because I had never given myself a needle before and I had never had to prick my finger to make it bleed.

Now that I have been doing it for about five days, it still doesn't feel normal to do this, but it is starting to make sense on why I have to do it. Now that I am home, I find it a little harder, just because I don't know everything about diabetes yet and neither does my family. So we are working together to get it under control since my sugar is still pretty high up there [currently 17.9] The food of course is much better at home compared to the hospital, but now I have to count my carbs, and I am only allowed so much, and it's very frustrating.

I don't like that this has happened, and I know that there is worse that happens to people, but when it comes down to it, it's hard to get used to. I got very upset today twice just because I started thinking about it so much that I was driving myself nuts. I have dots on my fingers, I have tiny holes in my stomach, I can only eat this, I am hungry, I don't feel great. It's all going on in my head, while my body is trying to get back to normal.

I hate to feel like I am complaining especially because I don't want to bug the people that are helping me out the most.

On that note, I would like to thank everyone who visited me during my stay in the hospital, it really made me feel so much more comfortable being there and with all the goodies everyone left me, I had lots to do! I really appreciated it.



  1. I'm guessing you meant that yout A1C level was at 24% and not your blood glucose level right? Wow. Thats crazy. Mine was at 14% when I was hospitalized.

  2. No my blood sugar was at 24, I am Canadian they have a different measurment. So if my sugar was 24 mmol/l it would be 432 mg/dl !

  3. Hi Kayla, I was wondering if you could do me a huge favour and please follow my blog back? it's on my life as a type one diabetic teenager!

    Ellie Huckle

  4. I am nearly 17 now. I was diagnosed when I was nearly 15 almost two years ago. I was hospitalized t 36.4, also at Brantford general hospital.

    I'm not letting this 'disease' beat me. I don't want to become another statistic despite thats what I am told I am going to become.

    I'm glad to have finally found a person that I can relate to, someone that gets frustrated at it, forgets things, and deal with it nicely.

    Thank you Kayla, for you might think you make a little difference, but to me, my existence got a bit brighter.