This month has been incredibly stressful having both my grandparents in and out of hospital and trying to be there as much as I can, but being the only one who lives out of city, the stress of not being able to be there as much haunts me. While trying to practice self care, I find myself trying to also remind others maintain self care. I firmly believe we must be in the right space for ourselves in order to help others properly.
My blood sugars have been all over the place the past month and I can only imagine that is a direct product of the season we are in.
When we break down this season there is high chances of:
- High stress
- More goodies in the house than normal
- More parties/social gatherings to commit to attending
- Financial strain
- High anxiety situations (being around strangers, unfamiliar places etc.)
- Lack of sunlight, weather change.
All of these things that everyone can experience, it really can throw a wrench in a person with diabetes' care. It is so incredibly important to prioritize what needs to be done and to hone in on how you are feeling. We can easily get caught up in the season and forget the self care portion that is so important.
Ways we can prioritize our self care:
- Set aside all electronics/social media
- Create time to do something you enjoy or want (i.e pedicure, shopping, reading)
- Take pauses in your day or try and slow down your task